Thursday, June 21, 2007

Better Beef Stew


Using our fresh beef, I made a stew to stock a friends freezer. Short on time, I eschewed my normal redskin potatoes in favor of 2 lbs. of tiny golden creamers - "new potatoes," as they were advertised. They really made an amazing addition - both in time and in taste. Since new potatoes are dug up early, they have a much lower starch content (which is why dieticians recommend them as a lower glycemic potato) and they lend a very creamy, buttery flavor to the stew. Many of them were so tiny that they didn't need to be cut - and even the largest ones only needed to be cut in half. This freed up a lot of time in stew preparation that I normally spend washing and cutting large red potatoes. Normally I favor reskins for their color, but in a stew the skin often softens and peels back, so it's all a wash in the end. The photo is not the best, because it was for someone else I had to omit the carrots I would normally put there, so it is missing that bright orange splash of color. But still the combination of the fresh beef and the buttery golden new potatoes made it one of the best stews I have made.