Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lemon-Limeade


I found myself wanting to make lemonade, but I was short of lemons. Limes, however, had been on sale 8/$1.00 this week, and I had bought extra limes for the express purpose of putting them down the garbage disposal (at 12 cents a lime I can afford that luxury!). But on a whim I decided to go halfsies on lemons and limes in the traditional lemonade recipe. The end result was actually quite delicious.

1.5 cups granulated sugar
8 cups of water, divided into 7c and 1c
1.5 cups lemon or lime juice (for me it took 3 large lemons and 4 large limes, squeezed)

-Combine granulated sugar and 1 cup of water, boil until dissolved, to form a simple syrup. Refridgerate till cool.
-Squeeze lemons and limes, discard seeds but keep the pulp.
-Combine lemon-lime juice with 7 cups remaining chilled water.
-Slowly stir in sugar syrup, reserving the last 1/4 cup and adding to taste.
-Garnish with lemon rinds and enjoy.